Employment Practices Liability Insurance is a type of insurance that you may not have considered as being an essential part of your Los Angeles, California business insurance coverage package. It’s easy to understand why coverage for inventory losses, fire, or employee injuries is necessary, but you may wonder exactly what Employment Practices Liability insurance covers. Employees, contractors or customers can file suit alleging all kinds of offenses on your part including:
- Privacy violations on your part
- Failure to provide ADA accommodations
- Religious Discrimination
- Failure to Promote
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Termination
Don’t assume that only big companies are subject to such complaints. More than half of all suits filed were against businesses of less than 50 employees. Regardless of whether these suits have merit, the expense is real and the time and attention taken away from your business can also be costly.
There are a few things you can do to decrease the likelihood of such suits ever being filed:
- Have an employee handbook with policies that address these types of issues, as well as all other employee matters such as vacation policies, sick leave, work hours, etc
- Always follow proper procedures when dealing with employees, whether for disciplinary issues, promotions, hiring, or any other situation.
- Be sure you know and understand all the applicable laws and practices to run less of risk of unintentionally discriminating.
EPLI will pay for your legal costs of defending the suit, and often the judgements, claims or settlements of the case. Contact David’s Insurance Services in Los Angeles California today to ensure you have complete coverage to protect your business.